So you'd like to reach out but what should you say? How can you possibly impress me in 500 words or less? The answer is simple. Just be a gentleman.
A few pointers:
1. No one liner emails please. "R U available" guarantees that you will not receive a response.
2. I am not going to list the things you shouldn't say here, but if it crosses your mind that it might be inappropriate, it probably is. Just don't say it.
3. Provide your references or screening information in your first email, when possible. It shows me that you're serious about moving forward.
4. Spelling and grammar matter. Take the time to show me you consider your communication with me important. I know you're busy, but how long will it take you to add that exclamation point at the end of the sentence?
5. Don't contact me if you're not comfortable completing screening. Screening is always required, so if you can't or won't go through screening, we won't be the best match.
6. Be yourself. Tell me a little about who you are and why you'd like to meet. Do you travel a lot? Are you visiting LA soon? Are you looking for an ongoing arrangement? Etc.
7. Be patient. I know that you may get immediate responses to your emails in the business world, but I travel often and don't check my email everyday. If it's been more than 3 days and you haven't received a response from me, please feel free to send another email as a gentle reminder.